Question:

From Champaign, Illinois, USA:

I am 21 years old, was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I'm informed that I should be entering my honeymoon phase anytime now which could possibly last for quite some time, but personally, I do not like the whole idea of the honeymoon phase. Is there any way to expedite the killing of my beta cells to shorten this phase? Does everybody have a honeymoon phase?

Answer:

You should like the honeymoon phase of type 1 diabetes if it occurs. The older you are, the more likely. The more controlled your glucose values, the more likely. It's a nice time since you have a small amount of insulin still being produced and this makes life easier to maintain and sustain glycemic control. You still need to monitor blood glucose levels and take insulin as well as pay attention to your meal plan, exercise, etc. Since maintaining control of blood glucose levels remains difficult and an inexact science, why not humbly accept the assistance of the honeymoon phase?

Posted to Honeymoon