Question:

From Canberra, Australia:

My 13 year old son was diagnosed five years ago and has never had a hypo. Do you come across this often?

Answer:

It is highly unusual for a child who has had type 1 diabetes and been on insulin for five years to never have experienced hypoglycemia at some point. If by, "episode", you mean a seizure, I would not find that uncommon. However, if your son has never had a low, my gut feeling is that he has had inadequate control.

Good control is defined as a hemoglobin A1c less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab running the test. So if the upper was 7%, good control would be anything less than 8%. Typically people in good control will occasionally experience a low.

SS

DTQ-20020326041526B