Question:

From Billings, Montana, USA:

I am a 16 year old with type 1 diabetes, and I have a 17 year old sister who is often lethargic, has a height of 5 feet 8 inches, weighs 195 pounds, and rarely exercises. What are the chances of her getting diabetes?

Answer:

Your sister's chances of developing type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes beyond her present age are now much reduced from the usual 5% by age 20. However, she has a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 29, which like her weight for age, is very considerably beyond the upper limit of normal. Combined with her disinclination for physical exercise, this puts her at great risk for type 2 diabetes to the point that her doctor might think it appropriate to check her fasting blood sugar for diminished glucose tolerance.

Preventive treatment to lose weight by diet modification and starting an exercise program is easy to advise, but quite extraordinarily hard to implement without a lot of psychological support.

DTQ-20020401152820B