Question:

From Mendota Heights, Minnesota, USA:

Today, my daughter had a TSH of 122, and we were told she has thyroid problems, and they started her on medication. She also has had some problems with possible diabetes. We have been testing her numbers for a month or more, and some tend to hit over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but some of her diabetes antibodies have been normal. Could her diabetes go away when her thyroid is under control?

Answer:

I appreciate your concerns. Most cases of thyroid disease in children are quite easily treated although frequently that treatment is lifelong. However, her problems with high blood sugars are not likely to go away with control of the thyroid disease. You may wish to read more about Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes.

Posted to Thyroid