Question:

From Manns Choice, Pennsylvania, USA:

Help! My doctor suddenly decided to put me on a strict diet at 28 weeks into my pregnancy because my one-hour glucose test was high (142 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L], but the three-hour test was normal. He wants me to lose as much weight as I can before I deliver by C-Section in about two months. Am I at a higher risk for type 2 diabetes after pregnancy? How will this affect the baby?

Answer:

If your three-hour test was normal, then you do not have gestational diabetes. Unless there is something else going on, I am not sure why your doctor has you on a diet. Weight loss is not a good idea in pregnancy either. You should discuss the reasons behind this further with your doctor and maybe even get a second opinion.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes