From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

I am 32 years old, 29 weeks into my second pregnancy, and I had a three-hour GTT after an abnormal initial screening result of 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. My results were as follows: fasting -- 91mg/dl [5.1 mmol/L] ; one-hour -- 131 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L]; two-hour -- 114 mg/dl [6.3 mmol/L] ; three-hour -- 102 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L]. Since none of these exceed the threshold that would qualify as "abnormal," I presume I will not be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. However, I realize that all these values are slightly above those I have seen published as "normal." Does this mean I have some impaired glucose tolerance and/or insulin resistance? What are the risks of developing diabetes for me and my baby? What is the risk of my baby being obese? Should I be moderating my diet? If so, would appreciate some information regarding the manner in which I should be doing so, since I probably will not be meeting with a dietitian.

The results of your three hour glucose tolerance test appear normal; you do not meet the criteria for gestational diabetes, and neither you nor your baby would seem to be at risk for complications of diabetes. If you are concerned about your diet, then you may want to consult with a dietitian, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes