Question:

I have newly diagnosed diabetes and am searching for the following information to manage my condition:

1. A list giving the nutritional components of all foods -- all vegetables, fruits, grains, milk, etc.
  2. A list describing the different types of fats and different foods that have them
  3. A list describing the general targets for the different food groups in a diet of 1500 calories, 1800 calories, and 2000 calories.
  4. A list of different exercises within the various groups -- e.g.,aerobics, stretching, flexibility, muscle tone, etc.
  5. What are the average amounts of calories burned in different exercises.
  6. A list with the nutritional components of the different manufactured foods -- since the all have to comply with FDA regulations.

Answer:

You ask a lot of good questions. Let me see if I can help:

1. A good general reference for nutrition information is Bowes & Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used by Jean A. T., Ph.D. Pennington, Anna De Planter Bowes, Helen n Church.
  2. Exchange Lists for Meal Planning, a publication put out by the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association is a good reference for specific types of fats and foods from each of these groups.
  3. Consult with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning in order to get an idea of what these caloric levels look like with regard to food. Meal planning is very specific and individualized nowadays.
  4. Consult with an exercise specialist or get a referral from your physician to meet with an exercise specialist, since exercise is important in diabetes management and they can assist you with your specific concerns.
  5. A list of nutrition information should be available on the nutrition facts label on the food package.

JMS

[Editor's comment: You might also try these references:

1. The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible by Hope S. Warshaw, Robyn Webb, Graham Kerr
  2. The Diabetic Athlete by Sheri Colberg, Edward Horton
  3. The Diabetes Carbohydrate and Fat Gram Guide: Second Edition by Lea Ann Holzmeister, RD
SS]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Exercise and Sports