Question:

From Rock Island, Illinois, USA:

My 10 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes since she was two years old. We kept a good control of her diet and planned meals carefully, but now that she is older, we have not kept this up. We need to get her back on a controlled diet, it is difficult because she has a busy schedule, and it's hard to keep her on a regular schedule with two working parents. What is the calorie count/carbohydrate count for a 75 pound 10 year old girl?

Answer:

I would suggest that you visit again with a diabetes dietitian to revise your daughter's meal plan. Meal plans nowadays are individualized based on your daughter's increased caloric needs (during times of growth) and food preferences. With your family's hectic schedule, timing of meals can usually be worked into the schedule without compromising blood sugar control. Ask your physician or diabetes team for a referral to a dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning for children and teens.

JMS