Question:

From Wellston, Ohio, USA:

My husband (5 feet 10 inches tall, 250 pounds) was told last week by his doctor that his sugar level was 161 mg/dl [8.9mmol/L], but I don't know how many grams of sugar or how many carbohydrates is an acceptable daily intake. He's starting a 2000 calorie diet, but I also want to watch sugars and carbs. Any info would be helpful.

Answer:

I would suggest that you meet with a registered dietitian who can assist you with planning meals according to a specific calorie and carbohydrate level that will optimize blood sugar control. Diabetes meal planning nowadays focuses more on the total amount of carbohydrate rather than the source of the carbohydrate which liberalizes meal planning a bit without compromising blood sugar control. The dietitian will also individualize the meal plan based on your husband's food preferences and any other coexisting medical conditions (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.).

JMS