Question:

From Berkeley, California, USA:

I'm 36 years old, I've had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, and lately, my hands have been very numb. Is this normal?

Answer:

The numbness may be the result of diabetes or diabetes-related problems. First, individuals with over ten years of diabetes may develop neuropathy. This can result in numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. It usually involves both sides of the body at the same time. When the numbness in the hands, it usually involves the feet. Individuals with diabetes are also at risk for carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a condition where the nerve innervating the hand is compressed as it enters the wrist and is treated with surgery to decrease the compression when it gets bad enough.

The conditions can be differentiated by an EMG which is a test your doctor can order. The development of neuropathy is difficult to prevent and requires tight control.