Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

About four months ago, I had a fasting blood glucose of 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], and my doctor sent the results in the mail with bold red letters stating that it looked like I was on the way to developing type 2 diabetes. I am 45 years old, Caucasian, male, 5 feet 7 inches tall, and, at that time, I weighed 202 pounds. I read all information I could on type 2 diabetes and immediately took action.

I now weigh 170 pounds, walk four miles every day, run six miles once a week, lift weights two to three times a week, eat the way I should, and have had a subsequent blood tests that were normal. If I diligently continue this lifestyle, is it safe to say I will never get type 2 diabetes, keeping in mind that my mother had type 1 diabetes starting with gestational diabetes while carrying me?

Answer:

Never say never. The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) did say the reduction was 58% at five years, but you are way ahead of the normal reductions in weight, etc. This study is likely to go to 10 years so we may have more data.

You are doing great! Keep it up. You must feel and look great too. Bet you have more energy than you did when you were 16. It's worth the work.

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Type 2