From Noblesville, Indiana, USA:

I am a male who has had diabetes for 27 years, and I know that mothers who have babies in excess of nine pounds are considered to be a greater risk of diabetes later in life, but what causes this? Why do larger babies indicate or cause females to have diabetes?, What is it about a larger baby that causes gestational diabetes? In other words, why is the baby bigger? Is it because more insulin is used by the baby, thus causing females to have less insulin? or is it something else? Someone asked me the question the other day and it is really bugging me.

The best answer to date is the elevated glucose causes elevated insulin levels in the baby, and in fetal life, insulin is a growth hormone.

[Editor's comment: In other words, the diabetes causes the large baby, not the other way around. SS]