Question:

From Clifton, Virginia, USA:

What is the appropriate dose of glucagon to be administered to an 80 pound child? Half of the vial, then repeat in 20 minutes if needed or full vial? I have received conflicting information and do want the correct dose to be administered to my child if warranted.

Answer:

There is no absolute correct dose. The real answer is to do what works. We would usually recommend 1/4-1/2 mg and expect a response in 10-15 minutes. If not better within that time frame, we would administer another 1/4-1/2 mg. There is no major problem with using an entire 1 mg dose except that there is greater likelihood of headache, nausea and vomiting as an after-effect of the glucagon if the dose is too high.

I suspect the reason you are seeing different recommendations is that all are general recommendations. If you read pediatric-specific textbooks, you would see lower doses since the amount of glucagon is on a general weight basis.

[Editor's comment: See: Mini-Dose Glucagon Rescue for Hypoglycemia in Children With Type 1 Diabetes. SS]

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other Medications