My three year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes about two weeks ago, and at the hospital, while they know what is wrong with her, they don't why her blood sugar goes up, then down. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

As I understand your question, your three year old daughter has been diagnosed with diabetes and has been started on insulin to regulate her blood sugar. At this early stage, it is quite usual for it to take a little time to adjust the dose and the meals so that blood sugar levels can be kept near to normal.

You should talk to the doctors to find out if your daughter can be cared for by a children's diabetes team that includes a dietitian, a medical social worker and a nurse educator as well as a doctor because you are going to need a lot of help in these next weeks.

[Editor's comment: I agree with Dr. O'Brien. Since you do not say where you are located or what treatment plan your daughter is on, it is difficult to give you more advice. SS]