I am 39, need to lose weight and have a family history of typeá1 diabetes. Last Spring, I noticed that I was more tired and would fall asleep whenever I would sit down. I seemed more thirsty and would have to get up several times to the bathroom at night. I checked my blood sugar with a meter and found fasting readings in the low 200s [mg/dl, 11.1 mmol/L] with four to six hour after meal blood sugars in the upper 200s [mg/dl, 11.1 mmol/L].

I still occasionally check my blood sugar finding the fasting to be in the upper 200s [mg/dl, 11.1 mmol/L] with four to six hour after meal blood sugars in the upper 300s [mg/dl, 16.7 mmol/L]. I recently had the flu, didn't have anything to eat for over 48 hours, and I hoped to find my blood sugar close to normal but it was 267 mg/dl [14.8 mmol/L]. Does it take awhile to get your blood sugar normal after it has been somewhat elevated for awhile? I must be making enough insulin to keep it from becoming very high. If I restrict my calories very strictly, would it be possible my body will produce insulin to bring my blood sugar within the normal range? How long could that take?

It sounds like you have typeá2 diabetes. You need to go to your physician and get a complete evaluation, in addition to initiating diabetes education. The education process will allow you to make good decisions regarding diet, lifestyle, and emphasize the importance of long-term close follow-up. Please take this seriously and act on it.

[Editor's comment: Your meter readings are consistently high, and if confirmed by a lab test, would make the diagnosis of diabetes. This situation is indeed urgent, as any severe cold or flu with vomiting could overwhelm what residual insulin production you have, and provoke DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis]. WWQ]