Question:

From Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA:

My sixteen month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two months ago, and although we have been able to achieve he target blood sugars 65 to 70% of the time, her palms are often reddened, itchy, and frequently it looks like there are hives. We have not had any changes in soap, lotion, or food, and this was occurring before she was put on Lantus (insulin glargine). She does not have contact with plants or anything that would cause a contact dermatitis. Our pediatric endocrinologist, diabetes educators, and I are stumped. Do you have any ideas?

Answer:

It sounds like diabetes control has been superb, but it does not sound like the "dermatitis" is related to her insulin or diabetes. I would suggest that you consult either with a dermatologist and/or allergist to see if they have any ideas.

Posted to Insulin Analogs