Question:

From Bangkok, Thailand:

I'm 25 years old, and I have had type 1 diabetes for five months. I'd like to know if it is okay to take birth control pills. It said in the leaflet that person who has diabetes should ask an opinion from a doctor.

Answer:

Yes, it should be okay for most young women with diabetes to use a birth control pill. However, the pill may cause your sugars to go up. This problem can usually be taken care of with an adjustment in the insulin. If the pill is needed for contraception, you must weigh the risk of pregnancy versus the risk of a minor change in your blood sugars.

Since unplanned pregnancy during high sugars can result in an increased risk for birth defects, birth control pills are usually considered an acceptable risk. Please see your physician about additional risks of oral contraceptives. These include increase risk of blood clots, worsening lipids, headaches, and others.

[Editor's comment: There are some women (with or without diabetes!) for whom "the pill" would be inappropriate. See Oral contraception update at the Association of Reproductive Health Professionals website. WWQ]

Posted to Other Medications