Question:

From Bethpage, New York, USA:

I suspect my five year old year old daughter may have a low blood sugar problem. She experiences mood swings, whines, is hungry often, is thirsty, and has frequent urination. I've attributed her behavior to just the way it goes. After researching my own problem with low blood sugar, I am wondering about my daughter. Family history: grandfather and his son (my uncle) have diabetes; my mom, brother, and sister all experience the same low blood sugar symptoms. What are the symptoms of low blood sugar in children? How do I help my daughter if she has it?

Answer:

Some of the things you describe could be hypoglycemia, but most people who think they have hypoglycemia or kids with hypoglycemia do not have hypoglycemia. The treatment for real hypoglycemia under such circumstances is to avoid simple, concentrated sugars and to also make sure that there is a small snack that contains protein/fat every three hours. Since this is sound nutrition anyway, often any symptoms attributable to hypoglycemia go away. The best way to check is to do an actual finger stick blood glucose. You should discuss these possibilities with your daughter's pediatrician.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia