Question:

From Denmark:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes because I had DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] at the time, but recently I had a C-peptide level of 1520 (Normal: 200-700) so they rediagnosed me with type 2. I have been on insulin and am having a hard time losing weight. What should I be asking my doctor? Should I try the move to pills? I'm just lost now, because all this time I've read up on type 1 diabetes, and now it's overwhelming all over again.

Answer:

I would slow down and consider what this really means. With type 2 diabetes, and the prospect of residual insulin production, you have the prospect of having better blood sugar control than if you did not have residual function. It is not a quick fix to switch to a pill.

Remember that glucose targets are similar, whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. The usual process I go through with patients is trying to decrease the insulin as much as possible. You can be started on a drug, such as Glucophage [metformin], and decrease the insulin as tolerated. The insulin is not immediately stopped. However, decreasing your insulin dose may allow you to lose weight more efficiently.

I would say this is not bad at all. Those who have residual insulin secretion have a better chance at good glucose control. I recommend you speak with your physician more about this.