Question:

From Long Beach, California, USA:

I'm almost 18, I have had diabetes since I was eight, and for the past few months my finger tips get really dry and split open. The wound is always next to one of my finger nails and will not heal for weeks. It gets really frustrating because it hurts very much and poses a problem with me using that finger for anything. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help my fingers.

I worry a lot about my body because I've had problems with my diabetes for years. I'm on a pump, but I still do not have the control I should have. Are these wounds something for me to worry about? Should I just use more hand cream on a regular basis?

Answer:

Using a good hand cream may be helpful. There is a pesky skin condition called dyshydrotic eczema that will occasionally responds to a medicated cream available from your physician. I would mention this to your doctor the next time you are seen.