From Maryland, USA:

I am a 47 year old female originally diagnosed two and half years ago with typeá2 diabetes, but reclassified to typeá1 about a year and a half ago following poor results with oral agents and an anti-GAD antibody test of 125.

At diagnosis, my hemoglobin A1c was 7.9%, but this dropped quickly, and it now ranges 5.7-6.2%.

I am experiencing a marked decrease in sensation during orgasm. Prior to developing diabetes, this was not an issue for me. In all the literature, I've read relating to diabetes, I have not come across anything discussing this problem. Can diabetes cause sexual dysfunction in women?

It is true that women have reported sexual dysfunction with diabetes. The problem has always been how to scientifically study it. With men, erectile dysfunction is more easily quantified, although men also report difficulties with reaching orgasm.

There is now an increased appreciation for women experiencing sexual dysfunction with diabetes. There are some drug trials under way for this. In addition, very good control of your sugars may be helpful, although this has not been conclusively shown to reverse symptoms. However, extrapolation from other symptoms of neuropathy would suggest good control may help. Other drugs, such as Viagra, have also been tried. Please speak with your physician about this, or ask for a referral to a gynecologist.

Concerning what type of diabetes you have: it sounds like you probably have Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA).