Question:

From Wellsburg, West Virginia, USA:

My nine year old son, who has had diabetes since he was one and a half years old, and is in excellent health has had a wart on the bottom of his foot for months. We were hoping it would go away because we are afraid of the treatments (burning it off, etc.). What is our best course of action? I am even concerned about taking him to a specialist because of the risk that something might go wrong. Will it go away on its own?

Answer:

I would take your son's pediatrician's advice about fixing the wart. There are multiple alternatives to treatment including freezing with liquid nitrogen (my favorite) and other chemicals that can safely be used. It may not eventually go away on its own, and I would have it seen before it turns into two (or 10!) warts. Wart removal with freezing or chemicals is exceedingly safe in a nine year old, even with diabetes. He doesn't need a specialist.