Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

I am 39, I have had type 2 diabetes for almost two years, treated with diet and exercise, and I also have atypical Meniere's syndrome or autoimmune inner ear disease, which I am undergoing testing for and taking a diuretic along with steroids. Since my ANA is positive, should I also be tested for islet cell, anti-insulin, and anti-GAD antibodies to see if my diabetes is also autoimmune?

Answer:

It would be reasonable to perform an anti-GAD antibody level. The fact that your glucose control has not deteriorated over two years suggest that this is not a potent autoimmune response. However, the steroids may cause a false negative result. You may have to wait until you are off steroids to get a clear picture.

DTQ-20020414125323A