Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2002

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. At what blood glucose level should my son not participate in Physical Education? At times his readings are slightly low, and even though he has a juice, it doesn't rise much. (31 May 2002)

2. My 14 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for two years with good control, has lost 18 pounds since he had a virus for two days which sent his sugar reading up to 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L]. He is all right now, but is a picky eater, and I need to know what good food I can give him to bring up his weight. (31 May 2002)

3. I am thinking about going on pump therapy. What are the drawbacks of this method of control? (31 May 2002)

4. I have heard that different labs can have different normal ranges, and I once had an A1c of 9% (the previous one had been 7%). The ones before and after were lower. Is there a difference in lab results? Should I demand more explanation for those which seem screwy? (31 May 2002)

5. I have had type 1 diabetes for about 29 years, and at the end of last year, I had my first laser treatment in both eyes. However, last month a new eye study found that some blood vessels were not captured by the lasers. Is it important for me to have more laser treatments? (31 May 2002)

6. I have type 2 diabetes, and for the past six months my blood sugars have been very high. I get very depressed, my body is in a lot of pain, and I can't sleep. The doctor has given me a non-steroidal, but I still have pain. What else is there for me to do? (31 May 2002)

7. Is there any other method available for monitoring blood sugar constantly and non-painfully? (31 May 2002)

8. We are a British family about to move to Georgia. Our 13 year old son has diabetes. I have no idea how to go about finding a good endocrinologist and diabetes team to take care of him because the US system of healthcare will be totally new to us! (31 May 2002)

9. My father of 67 years, who has had diabetes for nearly 10 years, has severe pains on his feet caused by his nerves. Is there any cause for the pains? Is there medication he can take without interfering with his condition? (31 May 2002)

10. My five year old son (diagnosed at age three) recently started participating in little league baseball. We check his blood glucose right before he starts practice and give him a snack if necessary. What is the best food (in terms of glycemic index) for a young child involved in physical activity for an hour and a half? (30 May 2002)

11. My 59 year old husband just had a fasting blood glucose of 159 mg/dl [8.8 mmol/L], but he has none of the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. Do we need to pursue this with his physician to do further testing for diabetes? (30 May 2002)

12. What is the highest blood sugar level in a diabetes patient in the United States ever recorded after being bought in to a hospital emergency room for treatment? (30 May 2002)

13. My eight year old daughter has diabetes, and when she takes only one unit of Humalog, her blood glucose drops way down to 30-50 mg/dl [1.7-2.8 mmol/L]. Is there a reason or explanation for this? Is this common? Can we do something to alleviate this? (30 May 2002)

14. My mother-in-law, who has had type 1 diabetes for about six years, drinks at least times a week and has had two insulin reactions while driving! Does her drinking plays a part in having an insulin reaction? Does it have any effect on why her doctor has to keep adjusting her insulin? (30 May 2002)

15. Yesterday, I was diagnosed with diabetes, and I have frequent headaches. Could this be related to the diabetes? Is it possible my daughter has diabetes too since she has some of the same symptoms? She is being tested for it, and we are just waiting on the results. If she doesn't have it could she develop it later since I have it? (30 May 2002)

16. Is there any substitute for giving insulin other than these painful injections? (30 May 2002)

17. My 12 year old daughter has had symptoms of hypoglycemia with some low blood sugar readings. She has been following a hypoglycemic diet, which I am sure keeps it from falling too low. What is your opinion on continuing to see specialists? Since it has been staying up, am I worrying too much? (30 May 2002)

18. I have noticed that since I have been taking my diabetes medications, I tend to forget things more, have a hard time getting my words out and slurring of my words. Is this typical of a patient who takes Glucophage? (30 May 2002)

19. My LDL is high (111 mg/dl). How can I decrease it, when everything else is great? (30 May 2002)

20. My friend has type 1 diabetes and the doctor suggested keeping sugar lever low and taking care of diet. Are there more things to be done with goal of preventing eye problems? (29 May 2002)

21. Is there any reason why a person who has type 1 diabetes and no eye complications should not lift weights for exercise? (29 May 2002)

22. My 17 year old son works three evenings and his both of his insulins (both Humalog and NPH) have to be reduced on those evenings or he will run low during the evening and about 1:00-4:00 am. However, he will be switching to Lantus (with Humalog) soon. How should he handle the work schedule? Should he reduce the Lantus the evening before he is scheduled to work? (29 May 2002)

23. Where might I find a chart that lists types of food and the carbs that they contain for someone with insulin resistance? (29 May 2002)

24. We have a patient who has severe psoriasis, has had diabetes less than a year and who is just starting on insulin. Does this affect where he can give his injections? (29 May 2002)

25. My 15 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 10, his growth pattern since diagnosis has been in the lower percentile range, and for the past few years, he is almost at the bottom of the range. My concern is that his growth has been inhibited by something related to the diabetes. (29 May 2002)

26. My 10 year old son was on one shot of only 4 units of NPH for nine years, but in the past few months, I am having a hard time controlling his blood sugars. What has happened? Any medical explanation? (29 May 2002)

27. My nine year old son has had all the classic symptoms of diabetes and elevated blood sugars on fingerstick samples. He has been evaluated by two different providers, and they as confused as we are. What would be causing my son to run high for two weeks, then suddenly low? When do I ask for a referral to an endocrinologist? (29 May 2002)

28. My 22 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a month ago, and probably about half of the people we tell reply, "can't she outgrow that?" Do you know why so many people think this? (28 May 2002)

29. Once in a while when my 12 year old son is low, he gets very agitated, and I am concerned as he gets bigger something bad could happen.. He has not adjusted well to diabetes and has seen a psychologist for the past three years. Are there any schools that have just children who have diabetes? (28 May 2002)

30. When recently meeting with our diabetes team, we were told that exercise during the presence of ketones in the urine is dangerous. Is this so? If so, why? (28 May 2002)

31. During my six months basic training in the National Guard, I developed tendonitis, the doctors gave me cortisone treatments, and subsequently I developed diabetes. I am now in the process of trying to get VA medical benefits attributing my diabetes to the cortisone and stress of the situation. (28 May 2002)

32. How long does one have to run ketones in order for the weight loss to happen? Do people gain that weight back once the body is again stabilized? I ask because, when I announced I was starting the pump, someone mentioned a concern about my misusing it since I have an eating disorder. (28 May 2002)

33. My mother-in-law has both diabetes and high cholesterol, and if I understand correctly, people with high cholesterol can have fruits, and less saturated fat to reduce cholesterol, but I also read somewhere not to any fruits until your blood sugar comes to a stable condition. Is that true? If so, how would I manage her diet in order to reduce both the cholesterol and control her diabetes? (28 May 2002)

34. Are people with type 1 diabetes and good glycemic control immunocompromised? Are they any more susceptible to infectious diseases? (28 May 2002)

35. At what blood glucose level does damage begin to occur to the human body? What begins getting affected first? (28 May 2002)

36. I have been taking Glucophage. I lost 15 pounds while taking the medication, but recently I was switched to the generic form, and I noticed I gained five pounds. Does the generic form work as well as the one from a trademark company? (28 May 2002)

37. My 19 year old granddaughter (5 feet, approximately 97 pounds) is currently on only 8 units total of Ultralente insulin, her HbA1c is perfect (near normal), and she eats well (just rarely carbs). Is this not enough insulin? Why does she weigh under 100 pounds? She is not in the "honeymoon stage" anymore. (25 May 2002)

38. I have hypothyroidism and hypertension, and during a routine doctor's visit, I had a random blood sugar of 17 mmol/L [306 mg/dl]. Does a blood sugar of 17 mmol/L [306 mg/dl] mean that I have sugar diabetes? (25 May 2002)

39. My lovely five year old daughter is on Humalog with one NPH shot in the morning. To have a better sleep, what is a good blood glucose at midnight and in the middle of the night? We are not giving her insulin at night. Is that a good approach? (25 May 2002)

40. My mother-in-law has a both diabetes and high cholesterol, Is there some kind of a device with which I could check her blood sugar level before and after meals and also cholesterol. Any help is greatly appreciated. (25 May 2002)

41. My eight year old daughter has Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type II, and one of her physicians has told us she that she has a high risk of developing diabetes. Can you tell me the percent of risk she has for developing diabetes? How long (in years) until this happens in years? (25 May 2002)

42. About six months ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and although my physician, as yet, has not confirmed that I have peripheral neuropathy, I believe I do. After the tests were completed these specialists told me that I was "maintaining". I am wondering if my neuropathy is curable or will continue to profoundly affect my mobility. (25 May 2002)

43. I have been trying to potty train my two and half year old daughter, but she is constantly going to the potty and is having accidents all the time. She drinks a fair amount and is also very small for her age. Diabetes runs in my family, but not my immediate family. Should I be concerned? (25 May 2002)

44. My son has type 1 diabetes, and I am always learning new information about his disease. I recently read that type 1 is an autoimmune disease and that type 2 is not autoimmune. Does this mean that the cause of type 1 is different from that of type 2? (25 May 2002)

45. My eight year old daughter has had diabetes for about two months, and does not have optimal control. The problem is that her doctor has one answer for everything, "well no one is sure, diabetes is very complicated" Obviously we are searching for a new doctor. There is a shortage in our area, and we can only be seen twice a year. (25 May 2002)

46. At birth, the doctors had a hard time stabilizing my now three year old son's sugar levels. For three years, he has woken up being irritable, I force feed him, and, in about 20 minutes he is be back to normal. Diabetes runs in our family, and I am concerned. Are these symptoms something to be concerned about? (23 May 2002)

47. I have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years and have good control, but I have developed what I think is a frozen shoulder in my right shoulder and very similar symptoms/pain in my right hip. I am aware of some relationship between diabetes and frozen shoulder, but cannot find anything about simultaneous frozen hip. (23 May 2002)

48. My nearly six year old son was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of two, has learning difficulties with autistic traits. Are there are any links between autism and diabetes? Are you aware of any other children with both conditions? (23 May 2002)

49. Is pump therapy available in the UK? (23 May 2002)

50. My 40 year old husband had a casual "random sugar test" with a handheld instrument yesterday, and it showed a reading of 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L]. Does he have diabetes? How do I confirm this? (23 May 2002)

51. This past winter, my 10 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for three years, caught numerous colds, stomach bugs, and fevers whereas she was not this ill during the past two years and has received a flu shot for the past four years. What are your recommendations to help her avoid getting sick? (23 May 2002)

52. Both my 17 year old daughter and I have diabetes, and my almost nine year old son had an episode of extreme thirst a few days ago. I checked a few blood sugars, some of which seem to be high. Does my son have diabetes? Do you think I need to take him in? (23 May 2002)

53. I am a 16 year old female who has had type 1 diabetes since age five, and I am hoping and praying for a cure, especially by the time I am ready to have children. Until then, I was wondering if there were any clinical trials or something like it that I could get involved in to help find a cure. Do any trials use minors? (23 May 2002)

54. My six year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year, but his blood sugars have been so good that we stopped the insulin. His A1c has been 5.3% three times this year, and he is not on a diet (enjoying sugar again) and still has sugars of only 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L] or less. (23 May 2002)

55. I'm 58 years old, I have type 2 diabetes diagnosed last year, and my problem appears to be nerve related. I have a facial itch/pain mainly on the right side of my face and jaw which travels down my neck to my shoulder causing pain and irritation in all those areas. (23 May 2002)

56. My five year old daughter has had ketotic hypoglycemia for about two and a half years now and has both low and high readings. I have taken her to her pediatrician every six months for follow-up who feels she should outgrow it soon, but we do not feel that way, we think she is getting worse. What should we do next? (23 May 2002)

57. I have had diabetes for 44 years, went on a pump about a month ago, I am trying for a glucose range of 100-160 mg/dl [5.6-8.9mmol/L], but I am everywhere except between those ranges! If someone can help me, I would appreciate it! (23 May 2002)

58. My 15 month old daughter, diagnosed with nesidioblastosis, is on octreotide and nifedipine. Do you know of another drug to treat PPHI? Do you know any foods or a way of eating to prevent hypoglycemia? (23 May 2002)

59. I'm pregnant with my first child, and my obstetrician wants to induce me a week before my due date. Is an induction really necessary? (23 May 2002)

60. My eight year old daughter has increased frequencies of urination, hunger, and she had a three-hour OGTT. Does my daughter have hypoglycemia? Is there a different normal range for pediatric patients? (21 May 2002)

61. I have been on the same dose of Synthroid for more than 15 years with normal thyroid tests, but a year I was diagnosed with diabetes treated with insulin, and my current TSH is low. Could insulin use cause a change in my TSH levels? (21 May 2002)

62. I have noticed that if my pre-meal sugars are around normal, and I the same amount of food I usually eat, my post-meal sugars are going higher than if I eat the same food with my pre-meal sugars slightly elevated. Is this normal? (21 May 2002)

63. I have type 2 diabetes treated with metformin, and I have heard that taking a teaspoonful of cinnamon three times a day in my coffee will lower my blood sugar levels. Do you have any knowledge in this regard? (21 May 2002)

64. My 32 year old sister is currently pregnant, has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and was put on insulin. Is there anything I can do to prevent developing gestational diabetes myself? I am not pregnant, but I am interested in preventative measures. (21 May 2002)

65. My 16 year old daughter who has type 1 diabetes treated with Lantus and Humalog is a runner, and we find that when she is distance running she has to adjust her insulin some, but when she is doing sprints her numbers are much more unpredictable. Do you have any suggestions for evening things out? (21 May 2002)

66. I'm pregnant with my first child, and I cannot get a straight answer from my doctors about how they want to handle my insulin needs and blood sugars during labor and delivery. I'm on a pump and would like to continue using it during labor. (21 May 2002)

67. My 13 year son, diagnosed with diabetes today had hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) at age three, and when he was five, my husband donated his kidney to our son due to renal failure. Does diabetes mean that his new kidney is no longer working properly? (21 May 2002)

68. I am 34 years old, 6 feet 3 inches tall, I weigh 165 pounds, and I have type 2 diabetes. I eat more food than anyone I know, but can't seem to gain any weight no matter what I do. What can I do to put weight on without fouling my blood sugar levels? (21 May 2002)

69. A couple of weeks ago, my 10 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, had a seizure in her sleep. She had an EEG about three days later which was abnormal so she saw a neurologist who he said this isn't considered epilepsy unless she has more than one seizure, and her endocrinologist says the seizure was not related to her diabetes. What could this be? (21 May 2002)

70. My almost eight year old son who has a nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, has been on Moduretic, and recently had an abnormal A1c and GTT. How can we decide if my child has diabetes mellitus or not? Shall we do the same tests after stopping the Moduretic treatment? Can the high blood sugar level because of Moduretic? (20 May 2002)

71. I realize that there are other circumstances that affect blood sugar levels, but just as a guideline, the answer to three questions will be of great benefit to me. (20 May 2002)

72. My almost 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 11, and we still have not been able to get his readings leveled. Instead of constantly increasing his insulin dosages, why can't we just reduce his carbs? (20 May 2002)

73. For the past week, my four year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 23 months, has been complaining that her lower part of her legs are bothering her, usually during the night. What is your opinion? What can I do to ease my mind? (20 May 2002)

74. My seven year old daughter has most of the signs of diabetes and other symptoms that may or may not be related to diabetes. However, she has not had any weight loss. At 4 feet 1 inch tall and weighing 67 pounds, she is chunky, and I fear she is on her way to obesity. Could she have diabetes despite her weight gain? (20 May 2002)

75. We are concerned that our five year old daughter may have hypoglycemia. Since age two, she has had nine unexplained seizures, and we have been to so many doctors with her, but no one has suggested low blood sugar. Should we look into this further? (20 May 2002)

76. I am 15 years old, I was diagnosed with diabetes two years back, and both of my parents have diabetes treated with oral medicine. Can I take oral medication instead of daily injections? (20 May 2002)

77. I have had diabetes for three years, and I'm having a lot of burning and pain in my feet with numbness. Can you help me? (20 May 2002)

78. Yesterday at school, my 17 year old son had a very serious low reaction, and apparently he pushed two girls to get to their cookies and then hit a boy who tried to stick up for the girls, but my son does not remember any of this, and the school wants to send him to an off-site campus classroom for the rest of the school year for his actions. (20 May 2002)

79. My four year old son lost 12 pounds in a month, drinks a lot and goes to the bathroom frequently. His doctor did three fasting blood sugars which were normal, but we have continued to monitor him at home, and his numbers have remained elevated for about the last five days. What are the ranges that he should be? (20 May 2002)

80. My 13 year old daughter is using Regular and NPH. Her Regular is given before her meal and NPH before she goes to bed, but she goes to bed at 9:00 pm and takes the NPH at 11:00 pm so I have to wake her up every evening. Also her blood sugar is going up and down. Is it better for her to stop using Regular and NPH and to use Actrapid and Protaphane? (20 May 2002)

81. I am giving my 11 year old son three injections daily, and presently I am selecting the sites at random. Does choosing sites this way affect blood sugar control? What is the best possible way to change insulin injection sites? Would it be more appropriate to give all the three injections at any one site by rotation for about a fortnight and then shift to new place? (20 May 2002)

82. A child in my nursery has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and is due to return to class within the next couple of weeks. Do you have any advice you could give me and my staff on the support she might need, or anything you feel may be relevant? (18 May 2002)

83. My son has had type 1 diabetes for five years, and his older sister often will exhibit low blood sugar. On a day when she is feeling fine and having no symptoms of hypoglycemia, her glucose is normal. Is this something we should be concerned with? (18 May 2002)

84. My 11 year old overweight son shows some symptoms of diabetes so I recently had him checked by our doctor who ordered a blood test for diabetes which was normal, but my son did not have to fast for the test. Should he have another test? (18 May 2002)

85. My son, who has had type 1 diabetes for about six months, had an absence seizure yesterday, and his blood sugar right after the two-minute seizure was 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Can there be an association between my son's diabetes and the absence seizure? (18 May 2002)

86. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 14 months ago. After recently changing medication, my blood glucose came down very rapidly so my medication has been stopped and my blood glucose is normal. Are we overlooking something? Or just looking a gift horse in the mouth? (18 May 2002)

87. My nine year old son, who had type 1 diabetes for 14 months, has one new tooth growing and his blood sugar is relatively high these days. Do you think that it is related to the growing of this tooth? (18 May 2002)

88. I am 19 years old, have had diabetes since I was five, and I was very much out of control for the last two years, but I just recently started taking very good care of myself again, and I am gaining weight no matter what I eat, which I don't think is normal. Why is this happening? (18 May 2002)

89. When a child has ketones in the urine, and is sick, is it a problem if the ketones are more than "small"? How do they get ketoacidosis? Is it from being sick? (18 May 2002)

90. My 24 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nearly three years ago, is now working full time and feels tired all of the time. She is coping with her job but this lethargy really does depress her some weeks when it is worse than others. Is there anything she can do to help this? (18 May 2002)

91. I have two children with type 1 diabetes and on insulin pumps, and the older child (now of pubertal age) seems to be more prone to ketones during illness or the occasional pump problem than the younger (pre-pubertal) child. Why is it that some children rarely get ketones when others seem to develop them quite rapidly? (18 May 2002)

92. Just curious as to a professional's opinion on the status of the race to find a cure, a vaccine, or some type of curative therapy. (17 May 2002)

93. My seven month old daughter is beginning to have seizure-like episodes, is sleeping all the time, and her father has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 11. They told us there was only a small (6%) chance of passing the diabetes on to her. I don't know the symptoms of diabetes so I would like to know if this is a common early symptom. (17 May 2002)

94. Recently, my three year old granddaughter, who has type 1 diabetes, developed a yeast infection and her blood sugar has been staying high. Shouldn't her insulin amount be adjusted? Shouldn't she be taken to see her physician immediately? (17 May 2002)

95. I have type 2 diabetes, and my last A1c was 7.2%, although it usually is slightly below 7%. Are there are guidelines on what my blood glucose test readings should be before meals and before bedtime? (17 May 2002)

96. A flatmate of one of my good friends says that diabetes cannot be an autoimmune disease. To make things more interesting, he's a medical student, so I feel as if he has some authority in the matter. Is this true? (17 May 2002)

97. For the last year, my daughter has high blood sugars with ketones in her urine during the first few days of her menstrual cycle. Does diabetes affect other girls in this way? Is there anything we can do to help her? (17 May 2002)

98. I am a 22 year old woman, diagnosed with diabetes about nine months ago and treated with glyburide, but my levels appear to be increasing again. I have never been told if I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and the speculation is that I am in the beginning stages of type 1 diabetes. Where should I go from here in terms of treatments? (17 May 2002)

99. My 16 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five weeks ago, is having behavior problems at school. I have addressed the school issues with him, and he has accepted his punishment, but the behavior is continuing. Could he be having a reaction to his insulin? (17 May 2002)

100. My six and a half year old daughter has never been diagnosed with diabetes, although she frequently has symptoms of hypoglycemia, can be uncontrollable, and often doesn't even remember when these times occur. I've spoken to the pediatrician about my concerns and have tried to keep her eating a healthy diet. What are the next steps I should take? (17 May 2002)

101. How long can you keep glucagon after it has been reconstituted? (17 May 2002)

102. Since catching gastroenteritis two months ago, my son's blood sugars have been high and low, have never returned to normal, and lately, he's been having ketones when he wakes up in the morning. Why is he so susceptible to ketones all of a sudden when previously his sugar could go very high without ketones? (16 May 2002)

103. My 11 year old daughter has been on a pump and is doing extremely well. To make life just that little bit easier, especially when we have to change her basal regimen, I would love to have access to a GlucoWatch or the CGMS, but as far as I know neither of these devices are available in Australia. Are you able to give me contact details for Cygnus and/or for MiniMed? (16 May 2002)

104. I have been on insulin for 21 years, recently I have been having trouble with my sugars, and a friend (who is on insulin as well) tells me that I need to go on four injections a day. (16 May 2002)

105. Recently I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and my doctor has prescribed metformin hydrochloride. What is the function of this drug and its side effects if any? (16 May 2002)

106. At my nine year old son's one year eye checkup, the doctor told me that his vision was twice as bad as when he was first seen. He also wets the bed regularly. A coworker recommended I have him tested for diabetes. Should I have my nine year old son tested for diabetes? (16 May 2002)

107. My 11 year old daughter has been suffering with terrible headaches, fatigue, nausea, and shakiness for many months now. Her doctor ordered full blood work, and her sugar was slightly low, so he suggested six small meals per day. Is there anything else I can do? (16 May 2002)

108. My 16 year old sister was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three years ago, and ever since, we always took care of her, but for the past year she hasn't been taking care of herself. What can I do to help her? (16 May 2002)

109. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and had all the classic symptoms, except excessive hunger. I was so sick, I couldn't eat anything and was never hungry. Do you have any idea why? (16 May 2002)

110. My husband and I both have a strong family history of diabetes, and neither of us has diabetes, but, about two months ago, our four year old daughter had glucose in her urine during a routine medical exam which was negative on repeat specimen. With our strong family history, would it be wise to monitor her glucose level or should we leave it alone? (16 May 2002)

111. My nine year old has had diabetes for about two and a half years, and I mix his insulin immediately before his shot. Can I mix Humalog with Actrapid and Humalog with Insulatard? (16 May 2002)

112. My 13 year old daughter has had diabetes for four months, her A1c is 5.3%, her Lantus dose is about one-third of what it was, I can't really remember the last time she took a shot for her meals, and she is still low at lunch time. If my daughter continues like this, can she come completely off of Lantus? Her doctor wants to check her blood for those antibodies. (15 May 2002)

113. Our nine year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. Is it necessary to tell her dentist and orthodontist so that they can add it to her chart? (15 May 2002)

114. My 10 year old daughter is using Mixtard 30 twice a day, we are travelling to Australia, and I wonder how you would recommend handling her injections bearing in mind the eight hour time difference. (15 May 2002)

115. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 10 months ago and was advised by the hospital to stick to a low-fat diet. She looks very thin, complains about stomach pains in the mornings, and has had runny stools since diagnosis. Are we being too vigilant about keeping fat-free? (15 May 2002)

116. My daughter has recently developed an allergic reaction to her insulin. She gets red marks at each injection site, and we have been advised to change brands of insulin. Do you think she should receive some sort of allergy test? (15 May 2002)

117. Would my six year old daughter benefit from using Lantus or the insulin pump? Would these options make her less irritable and control her hunger? (15 May 2002)

118. I am a 17 year old teenager with a have a family history of diabetes on both sides, I have most of the symptoms of diabetes, and my doctor said I should be tested, but my mother refuses. She thinks if I do have diabetes that it is caused by my diet. I was wondering if anything like my diet could cause diabetes If not, I can inform my mother so she will allow me to get tested. (15 May 2002)

119. Two weeks ago, my four year old daughter had a blood sugar of 359 mg/dl [19.4 mmol/L] during a yearly pediatric visit, and was sent immediately to an endocrinologist with a diagnosis of diabetes. She has no other symptoms and was antibody negative. We've changed to a low carb/healthy diet and her blood sugars are reasonable without insulin. I'm simply curious if anyone has seen a case similar to our daughter's and if so, what was the outcome? (15 May 2002)

120. How can blood sugar drop so fast? (15 May 2002)

121. Can woman with type 1 diabetes get PCOS? I know it's normally linked with type 2, however, things happen. If I am concerned about having PCOS, what tests should I ask to have done? (15 May 2002)

122. Our three year old son was diagnosed with diabetes two days ago. Are you aware of any early intervention programs to arrest the disease process prior to complete destruction of the pancreatic islet cells? (14 May 2002)

123. Could I have diabetes? (14 May 2002)

124. My four year old son is on shots twice a day and was fine with them, but in the last couple of weeks, he is having a hard time with them. Could we be doing something different to help ease the pain when he gets his shot? (14 May 2002)

125. If insulin is "the key that lets glucose into the cell," then why don't people need more carbohydrates and more insulin during exercise? I keep reading that exercise makes the body more sensitive to insulin, but how? (14 May 2002)

126. My daughter is overweight, her dad is on insulin, and she had a blood sugar of 188 mg/dl [10.4 mmol/L] with sugar in her urine when I took her to the doctor. What does all this mean? Should I be concerned? How high does her sugar have to be? (14 May 2002)

127. My dad has diabetes. What are the causes of diabetes? Can any preventative measures be taken? Can you please tell me a little about the treatment? (14 May 2002)

128. An LPN, from Haiti, where people use more "home grown" remedies, who has type 2 diabetes recently recommended drinking tea made from cerrasse leaves. I would not use this on my daughter who has type 1 diabetes, but could it hurt for my dad or sister with type 2 to try it, along with their regular medications? Anything harmful in it? (14 May 2002)

129. My 10 year old son always has needed insulin adjustments during the month depending on what his blood glucose is doing, but lately the adjustments are happening every one to three days. The endocrinologist has not given us any answers as to why things are different, and more difficult, now. (14 May 2002)

130. I recently went on birth control pills and confirmed my suspicion (as well as that of my physician) that my hormone levels have a significant impact on my blood sugars. Can you direct me to medical research regarding the insulin-inhibiting effects of estrogen and progesterone? (14 May 2002)

131. Have you had the opportunity to review the new GlucoWatch non-invasive, automatic, continuous blood monitoring device? It seems to be a giant leap forward in assisting good control. If not, are there any plans to do so? (14 May 2002)

132. I'm 58, I have type 2 diabetes treated with insulin, and I don't have health insurance. Do you know of resources in Rhode Island? (13 May 2002)

133. How can I learn about the new insulin currently undergoing Phase III Clinical Trials, insulin detemir. (13 May 2002)

134. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven months ago, and her blood sugars were fairly well under control with the insulin, but she is not gaining weight like she should be despite eating six times a day. They have tested her thyroid and the test was abnormal. What should I do? (13 May 2002)

135. Do you have any idea as to when my diabetes pill will be available on the PBS scheme in Australia? (13 May 2002)

136. We started out giving our seven year old daughter (diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago) two shots a day, but have eliminated the evening shot because her nighttime lows were too low. Her blood sugars are in range. Should I be concerned with only giving her the one shot a day? (13 May 2002)

137. Can supplies (monitors, test strips, all types of insulin) go through all the screening and metal detectors? (13 May 2002)

138. How do you use a pattern management flow sheet? (13 May 2002)

139. I have used my present blood glucose meter for four years. I like my meter -- I don't want the new ones they want to give me. (13 May 2002)

140. I am a 33 year old female who has had a few urinary tract infections in the past year. Twice, when I went to donate plasma, the doctor told me I had sugar in my urine. Can having a urinary tract infection put sugar in your urine? (13 May 2002)

141. I've had diabetes for about nine years and when I walk it feel like there is a lump is on the bottom of my left foot, but when I touch my feet I can't see or feel anything, What does this mean? (13 May 2002)

142. A child on my case load exhibits constant craving for juices, and fruits, and is very overweight. He is obsessed with eating. We were wondering if this could be indicative of early diabetes. Can a child as young as 18 months old have diabetes? (12 May 2002)

143. I am a 45 year old female who has type 2 diabetes, and I was just diagnosed with gastroparesis. For six months, I had a lot of nausea and some vomiting. My levels have been 100-200 mg/dl [5.6-11.1 mmol/L] when this kicked up again. Can this still flare up when levels are okay? (12 May 2002)

144. We have always counted carbs, and my daughter is now on an insulin pump. Can she drink regular sodas and juice or use sugar as a sweetener for cereals if she counted them in her bolus calculations? (12 May 2002)

145. My four and a half year old son has had diabetes for almost two years, and our insurance company is trying to change how often we see the endocrinologist from four visits per year to one. (12 May 2002)

146. Our doctor said there was no test for hypoglycemia and diagnosed our son on the basis of his symptoms. Are there certain tests for hypoglycemia? (12 May 2002)

147. I have had hypoglycemia for two years. I feel my blood sugar levels are getting unpredictable. At what point does hypoglycemia become type 1 diabetes? Do you have any information on chromium as helping blood sugar levels in hypoglycemia? (12 May 2002)

148. My son developed type 1 diabetes at the age of 14 months, and three weeks prior to being diagnosed, he had his pancreas stimulated due to his ongoing reflux problems. Can a pancreatic stimulation test damage a pancreas? Would an ill-functioning pancreas look different to the doctor performing the endoscopy? (12 May 2002)

149. My 10 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, has had three seizures in the past year. Can you tell me what is happening? Should I have the doctors look at this? (12 May 2002)

150. Can please offer me any clues as to what may be happening with my blood sugars? If so, can someone suffer DKA etc, with "normal" blood sugar levels? (12 May 2002)

151. We are considering using the Lilly Humalog pen only when we are away from home or in certain playtime situations where it would be seen as less of a hassle than the formality of a syringe-based injection, but we are concerned about the shelf life of the pen's Humalog once it is first used. (10 May 2002)

152. I am at risk for developing diabetes, and family practice doctor was advised to treat a patient like me with Rezulin. What are your recommendations about treating someone at risk for diabetes, but who doesn't have it yet? (10 May 2002)

153. I am a senior citizen, have had type 2 diabetes for about three years, and the skin on my lower legs is shiny. What causes this? (10 May 2002)

154. My 15 year old daughter has had two episodes of hypoglycemia symptoms (shaking, weakness), and her doctor ordered a three-hour GTT which showed although her blood sugar levels were normal throughout, she still had sugar in her urine. Could impending puberty be the cause? (10 May 2002)

155. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes four weeks ago, my 26 month old son has been having all the symptoms of diabetes, so I started testing him and found blood sugars to be elevated. What are the chances of my son and I being diagnosed within three weeks of each other? Could something environmental have caused this? (10 May 2002)

156. I am 28 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and I'm concerned about my high cholesterol right now. Can you please recommend a diet or some type of supplement? (10 May 2002)

157. My 18 year old daughter is about to go off to college and live on her own, and she still has times when her sugars go very high. We just got an e-mail from the manufacturer of the GlucoWatch saying that this product is now available. How could it be used as a tool to catch rising blood sugars? (10 May 2002)

158. I have type 2 diabetes, treated with two medications, and for the past three months, my blood sugar in the middle of the night and fasting are very high, and around 11:00 am, it is normal. This is driving me crazy. What can I do? (10 May 2002)

159. I lost part of my pancreas and all of my spleen to a benign tumor, developed diabetes, and the surgeon told me to take glyburide daily. What is the safe level for blood sugar? What type of diabetes do I have? (10 May 2002)

160. Recently, in the movie Panic Room I saw a new testing device that looks like a watch and tests sugar levels. Who puts out this amazing product? Is it on the market yet? Would life be so easy if this really works? (10 May 2002)

161. Could this student have developed symptoms of ketoacidosis with negative ketones? Since we have had a lot of flu in our school, that is a possibility. (10 May 2002)

162. I'm 13, female, I weigh about 132 pounds, and I want to lose weight safely but fast! My other problem is I can't stop thinking about suicide, and it's a huge problem for me. I need advice on what to do. (9 May 2002)

163. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 22 months, and we have no family background of diabetes, but my husband had used topical steroids for treatment of severe psoriasis. Can topical steroids pass through the sperm? Could they have caused our daughter's diabetes? (9 May 2002)

164. I was just diagnosed and now that my weight has stabilized, I am having difficulty keeping my blood sugar down. Glucovance and Glucophage seem to elevate it, and the only thing that seems to affect my blood sugar is a medication that I take for leg cramps. Why would Glucophage and Glucovance elevate my blood sugar? (9 May 2002)

165. My 15 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, has a BB lodged in his head, right above the left end of his left eyebrow. The surgeon is now recommending that we do nothing and just leave the BB in my son's head. Is there anything diabetes-related that we need to consider in making this decision? (9 May 2002)

166. My boyfriend, who uses an insulin pump, was recently dropped from his insurance. Is there a place that he can go that would help with either free insulin or insulin at a reduced rate? (9 May 2002)

167. Our 22 year old son, goes low almost daily and has had two car accidents along with numerous tickets. I feel he needs placement in an adult camp where he can be reprogrammed to live on his own and take care of himself. Is there any help out there for him? (9 May 2002)

168. It seems to me very important to have insulins in a very good state because there can be high blood sugars thinking that you need to eat less or suspecting an occult infection. Which insulin ruins more easily out of the refrigerator (NPH, Lente, or Humalog)? (9 May 2002)

169. I have been taking high doses of prednisone, I have recently been diagnosed with drug-induced diabetes, and I still don't have this under control even though my prednisone is coming down slowly. Since diabetes does not run in my family, what are the chances of the diabetes going away if the prednisone is stopped or lowered enough? (9 May 2002)

170. I am a 40 year old female, diagnosed with insulin resistance one year ago. I am on Glucophage once a day, and my morning blood usually run high, and my bedtime value is usually okay. Can you give me any insight to my situation? (9 May 2002)

171. Can people with diabetes drink coffee? (9 May 2002)

172. What relationship exists between the use or overuse of growth hormone and the onset of type 1 diabetes? How important is the monitoring of the blood sugar levels during the use of growth hormone? (8 May 2002)

173. My best friend has been diagnosed with diabetes, I saw him go down, in the ambulance they give him D50, and it brought him around. fast. Typically, how much would one ampule of 50% dextrose raise an adult's blood glucose level? (8 May 2002)

174. I am 32 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, and a few days ago my physician advised that the FDA had approved the use of Humalog during pregnancy about six months ago. I just want to double check with you if this information is indeed accurate. (8 May 2002)

175. About three weeks ago, we stopped for breakfast, and my 12 year old daughter suddenly passed out. We gave her a glass of orange juice, and she felt a little better. I took her to the doctor but she is not concerned with the possibility of hypoglycemia and told me it was the onset of the flu. Should I be concerned about my daughter, and press for more testing? (8 May 2002)

176. My five old daughter was diagnosed four days ago, and after injecting the shot a little insulin runs out. What am I doing wrong? (8 May 2002)

177. What is the cause of chest pain in people who have diabetes? (8 May 2002)

178. I am 17 weeks pregnant, and I am having a lot of low sugar values. My doctor says that this is better than having high sugar levels and cannot harm the fetus because it is for such short period. Is that true? (8 May 2002)

179. My 76 year old mom has type 2 diabetes, and recently had a blister leading to a callus on one of her toes which caused an infection that went to the tip of the bone, and now she now must have the top joint of the toe removed. Is there any new alternative to amputation when the infection is just at the tip of the toe bone? (8 May 2002)

180. Although I haven't as yet been diagnosed with diabetes, I do have a problem with my blood sugar bottoming out. At times, it's too low to read with a glucose meter, and I get all the associated effects of hypoglycemia. What can I do? Should I be concerned? (8 May 2002)

181. I have type 2 diabetes, and in the middle of every month and a few days before my menstrual cycle, I develop pain on my right side, but once my menstrual cycle starts I'm usually okay. Is this common? Should I have more tests? (8 May 2002)

182. Must 11 to 19 year old students who self-monitor blood glucose be restricted to only testing in the school health office where a sharps container is located? What should the policy be concerning the used lancets? (7 May 2002)

183. My 76 year old mom has type 2 diabetes and wants to cream her feet to prevent calluses but then cannot bandage and tape her toes when needed because it won't stick to the creamed area. Any suggestions? (7 May 2002)

184. My four year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 10 months old, and I have heard that some people change their eating habits and no longer need insulin injections. Is that true? (7 May 2002)

185. Since I started pumping, I have noticed that I have developed a protruding fatty build-up in the areas on my abdomen where I inject the cannula. Is this caused by the insulin in the pump? (7 May 2002)

186. My four year old daughter's last A1c was 9.3%, but in the past few weeks, she has been having several lows. Do you think her pancreas (by some miracle) may be producing insulin? That is the only explanation I can figure for making her sugar go so low. Is there some kind of test that can tell if it is? (7 May 2002)

187. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and some sources have been telling no matter what I do, the complications are inevitable and that once I am older I won't live. I am very distraught over this and thought differently. Please help me understand if this is doom's day or can I take back control of my life by adopting these changes. (7 May 2002)

188. I am 53 years old, female, have diabetes treated with insulin, and I have severe vascular disease. Even though I have lost 100 pounds in four years, I can't seem to drop below 160 pounds. I have been told that too much insulin causes weight gain, but if I cut my insulin, my blood sugars go up. (7 May 2002)

189. My mother has type 2 diabetes and is quite concerned with liver problems related to her condition. Can you shed some light on this? (7 May 2002)

190. I am a 21 year old college student, and I have decided to regulate my insulin levels very tightly, but I have gained 50 pounds in the last year and am miserable! My doctors recommendations of a planned diet and timed insulin doses are unrealistic to my life style. Does a young woman with a hectic life have any hope with type 1 diabetes? (7 May 2002)

191. Since coming home after being hospitalized for a viral infection two weeks ago, my son's blood sugars are all over the place. Does it takes this long to get back to seeing blood sugars remotely near normal? (7 May 2002)

192. My 26 month old son has been having all the symptoms of diabetes. Since I have type 2 diabetes myself, I started testing my son and found his blood sugars to be high, but when I took him to the doctor, it was low. I don't understand why the highs and lows are so unpredictable. (6 May 2002)

193. My 21 year old son, diagnosed with diabetes a year ago, has sugars that have been good, but he has recently been having trouble with tremor in his hands and arms. What could be the cause of the shaking other than hypoglycemia? (6 May 2002)

194. Our five year old son, diagnosed with diabetes at the age of two, also has learning difficulties with autistic tendencies although professionals have not yet confirmed autism. Are there any links between autism and diabetes? Are there any diets we can use? (6 May 2002)

195. I'm 26 years old, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes four weeks ago, and my blood sugar readings are erratic. I also have severe loss of sensation in my hands and fingers; sometimes I can't feel them at all. I'm scared because I'm afraid my doctor may have misdiagnosed me, isn't very receptive, and isn't answering my questions. (6 May 2002)

196. I have had type 2 diabetes for 16 years, I am careful with my diet and exercise, I am on Amaryl once a day, and my blood sugars are normal most times three hours after eating, but my fasting blood sugars are slightly elevated. Why? What can I do so that I don't have this rise in blood sugars in the morning? (6 May 2002)

197. I have type 2 diabetes, I donate blood regularly, and I was told by my doctor that as long as I felt well I could donate. Aside from the social contribution I've been told donating blood is healthy for you, so I've continued. Is it? How? (6 May 2002)

198. I had a random blood glucose of 132 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L] four hours after my regular breakfast, my doctor advised me to have a fasting glucose test, and I am very afraid that I may have diabetes. Please advise me what precautions I should take to protect myself from this disease. What is normal for random and fasting blood glucose levels? (6 May 2002)

199. When I experience hypoglycemia at night, I have strange dreams, muscle cramps in my legs, clenched jaws, inability to talk or use the right side of my body. I normally can't do anything but pull my pump catheter out and wait for my glucose levels to rise which sometimes takes an hour or two. Is it possible that I am having a seizure? (6 May 2002)

200. I have had three children weighing more than 10 pounds, and I was never diagnosed with gestational diabetes during these these pregnancies was with my most recent pregnancy. What type of effects can a child of a mother with undiagnosed and untreated gestational diabetes have later in life? (6 May 2002)

201. Three days ago, my five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and we are still lost and overwhelmed with all the information and very perplexed by five kids living within five miles having type 1 diabetes. I am learning that people may be born with a genetic predisposition to diabetes. If this is a predisposition, what is the catalyst for developing diabetes? (6 May 2002)

202. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago, and my concern is that school will be letting out soon, I am working a full time job, and I feel that she will need supervision. So, I want to quit working full time to be home with her, but my husband disagrees. I don't know what to do or how to convince him how serious this is. (5 May 2002)

203. Since the pump is so easy to use, I'll find myself just grazing on things like cereal, crackers, or cookies. This has led to a continual weight gain, and my blood sugars are being compromised. Do you have any suggestions/ strategies for combating grazing? (5 May 2002)

204. I am a 39 year old female with type 1 diabetes, I am on the pump, I exercise six times per week, and my morning sugars are awful since I have changed my exercise routine. My doctor and I cannot get the overnight sugars back to normal, but the rest of the day my sugars are good. I cannot find much information about long and hard workouts. (5 May 2002)

205. I use a pump, and I am a runner, but have become very frustrated with exercise and blood glucose control. I find that my blood sugar may be great after a run, but then spikes a few hours later. I feel like no matter what I do, I can't get it right. Is this pattern common? (5 May 2002)

206. I have type 2 diabetes, controlled with exercise/diet, and on those mornings when I do not eat within an hour of rising, I get symptoms of what I assumed was low blood sugar, but my sugar seems to go up during these attacks instead of going down. What is happening? (5 May 2002)

207. I have type 1 diabetes and am having trouble with my weight. Will diet pills affect my blood sugars? How? (5 May 2002)

208. About 10 months ago, my five year old daughter, who has a mitochondrial disease, had a frightening episode, and I have several questions. (5 May 2002)

209. I am a senior citizen who has had 2 diabetes for five years. What is your view about a natural herbal food compound in the form of pills named Gourdin produced by a doctor from India and promising very good results in diabetes treatment? (5 May 2002)

210. Three days ago, my five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. What, if any, effect do microwave cooked foods have on diabetes? How about inoculations? (5 May 2002)

211. My wife's obstetrician gave her a pamphlet on the banking of a newborn's umbilical cord and blood for possible future use of stem cells, but I had never heard of this. What is your opinion? It is fairly costly, but if there is even a slight chance that this would help cure my seven year old son, it is money well spent. (5 May 2002)

212. My three sons all seem to have developed glucose problems at the same time. Could they be in first stages of type 1 diabetes? I am very confused. Why would all three boys start having glucose problems at the same time? Any advice? (5 May 2002)

213. About five months after being treated with steroids for a chest infection, my two year old son developed type 1 diabetes. Could the prednisolone, singly or in conjunction with the inhaled (high) dose levels, have caused the diabetes? (5 May 2002)

214. My seven year old daughter has had elevated sugar levels on my niece's meter. I have told my daughter's pediatrician about the sugar levels, he has tested her in the office and they were within the normal range so he doesn't feel more testing is needed. How far should I go with the testing? (5 May 2002)

215. My eight year old son, who has had type 1 a little over a year, started using the pump two months ago, and often forgets to bolus at school for lunch (or any other time I am not with him). Do you have any helpful hints on how to handle this? (4 May 2002)

216. How do you take care of a newborn with diabetes? (4 May 2002)

217. My 28 year old husband has had diabetes since age eight, his parents do not have it, and I know you said there is a 6% chance of passing this on to our children. Is that out of 100%? Is that a large or small risk? (4 May 2002)

218. My mother has type 2 diabetes, is adhering to her meal plan, and she is wishing to know why her fasting levels fluctuate. Her general practitioner is also concerned by the fact she is suffering from high stress levels and thinks this may have something to do with it. (4 May 2002)

219. I have had diabetes for 48 years, I am quite active, and thought I had seen everything as to insulin reactions, until the other morning. We cannot figure out why this extreme blood sugar drop took place. (4 May 2002)

220. I am 40 years old, and for about eight months, I have experienced many physical ailments for which I have been tested, and my doctor feels there is no need for further testing, but I'm certainly not satisfied with where things are right now. (4 May 2002)

221. Our daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago, and we've really been struggling with her numbers. Her doctor said that because she's only four, any lows under 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] hurt the brain and can cause brain damage, but we haven't been able to find any information and are wondering if this is so. (4 May 2002)

222. My two year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, and I have read that sterolins when used properly help the immune system and will after time decrease blood sugar levels. Can children use them? Are there any studies that prove sterolins are helpful? (4 May 2002)

223. I'm experimenting with multiple injections of NovoRapid into three spots at the same time instead of one. I have the feeling that this helps to control the peak after dinner. Is it worthwhile trying this 'multiple injection system'? (4 May 2002)

224. I have had type 2 diabetes for almost two years, treated with diet and exercise, I am taking a diuretic along with steroids, and my blood sugar average has been 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L] for the last 30 days. How long should I let it go this high? How high is too high before a diabetic drug is added? (4 May 2002)

225. Is it true that most children diagnosed with diabetes at a very early age lose their vision by the time they get to puberty? (4 May 2002)

226. I have a student with type 1 diabetes who regularly has low and high blood sugars and does not carb count. When someone runs high and lows frequently, is it possible for this individual to have a very low blood sugar (12 mg/dl [0.7 mmol/L]) and remain conscious (as in building a higher tolerance for low and high blood sugar readings)? (4 May 2002)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts