From San Diego, California, USA:

I am 39, I have had type 2 diabetes for almost two years, treated with diet and exercise, I am taking a diuretic along with steroids for another disorder, and my blood sugar average has been 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L] for the last 30 days. How long should I let it go this high? How high is too high before a diabetic drug is added?

The steroids do raise the blood sugar. If the sugars rise above target levels more than three to four weeks, you will see this reflected in your hemoglobin A1c. If results are above 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] before meals, I would suggest this needs to be treated, even if temporarily.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2