Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I am 17 years old, have had diabetes for approximately three and a half years, and I use an insulin pump. My problem is with excessive snacking. Since the pump is so easy to use, I'll find myself just grazing on things like cereal, crackers, or cookies. This has led to a continual weight gain, and my blood sugars are being compromised since I'm not measuring things, and that is leading to mismatched boluses. Do you have any suggestions/ strategies for combating grazing?

Answer:

I am so glad you are writing to ask for help which is an important first step. I just started a support group for folks on pumps, and many of them say the same thing.

I would suggest speaking with someone t who is knowledgeable about diabetes and understands your problem. I hope that most professionals would recognize that you want to make changes and not chastise you for your errors. You probably had a meal plan before, so maybe getting that out or asking for a new one from your dietitian would be a good starting point.

What can you do now? Writing down everything that you eat or drink seems to work well for many. Get a special notebook where you can record these things in private. Even a single M&M or a few bites of cereal must be written down. Measuring the items helps, but writing down seems to be key. A picture of yourself at the weight you would like to be (within reason) on your mirror or refrigerator helps motivate. Finally, get out and do activity. It not only burns calories, it also is hard to eat while you exercise. Keeping hands busy when you sit down, as picking up a craft project, helps and sugar free gum works to satisfy you between meals with no calories.

LSF

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Insulin Pumps