From Lawrence, Kansas, USA:

I am a 21 year old college student who has had type 1 diabetes for five years. I have already had two episodes of DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis], and since the last one have decided to regulate my insulin levels very tightly. Consequently, I have gained 50 pounds in the last year and am miserable! My doctors recommendations of a planned diet and timed insulin doses are unrealistic to my life style. Between exams, papers, and work, there is never a day that is like the one before. Sometimes, I feel like dropping out of school so I can get control of my health. I use Humalog and Ultralente, workout three times a week, and wait tables four days a week. So, I am moderately active, but just keep packing on the pounds. Does a young woman with a hectic life have any hope with type 1 diabetes?

Yes, you do! I would suggest you speak to your physician about carbohydrate counting as a way of matching insulin for food you eat. Your eating can be reviewed with a dietitian in order to figure out your total calorie and carb intake and make any recommended changes.

If your physician does not have access to a diabetes care team, you may want to find one. Finally, other long-acting insulins or an insulin pump are available for use if you want to consider changing your regimen.