From Port Orchard, Washington, USA:

I am a 30 year old woman recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and am working very hard at this. I am on Glucophage [metformin], I exercise four to five times a week, and I am very very careful with my diet. I have already lost 10 pounds, and have blood sugars of 95-140 mg/dl [5.3-7.8 mmol/L] which again I thought were real good. However, I have been hearing conflicting things. Some sources have been telling no matter what I do, the complications (especially heart disease) are inevitable and that once I am older I won't live. I am very distraught over this and thought differently. Please help me understand if this is doom' s day or can I take back control of my life by adopting these changes.

I think it is important to communicate a sense of empowerment for people with diabetes. It is true that trends toward more cardiovascular disease are worse in people who have type 2 diabetes compared to people without diabetes. However, you can do much to lower your own risk through regular follow-up with your physician and a change of lifestyle that allows you to live better.

Smoking cessation, cholesterol management, aspirin prophylaxis, weight reduction, glucose control, blood pressure control, and exercise all work to lower cardiovascular risk. This gives you a lot of opportunities to really do something for yourself. My recommendation to you is to go for it. You can make a difference!