Question:

From Oakfield, New York, USA:

About three weeks ago, during a vacation, we stopped off at 6:30 am for breakfast, and after waking my 12 year old daughter up, I noticed that she was ghostly pale, saying she was not hungry, and couldn't answer a question when asked. After going into the restaurant and asking her questions like what she wanted to eat, she did not answer and suddenly passed out. After she fell to the floor her arms came up to her neck, and they started shaking. I instantly grabbed a hold of them and started screaming at her to wake up. She woke up not knowing what had just happened to her, still very pale, and felt as though she was going to be sick. We gave her a glass of orange juice, and she felt a little better. Before passing out in the restaurant, she felt dizzy and had been having frequent headaches for a couple of weeks, and for the next five days she remained very pale, had little to no appetite, ran a fever, had a cough, and was very tired.

I was told that she passed out as her blood sugar was probably too low, and we have a family history of hypoglycemia and diabetes. I have been checking her sugar levels with the home monitor system, which have ranged from 71 to 149 mg/dl [mmol/L]. She has felt fine after about a week.

I am clueless about all of this, so I took her to the doctor upon returning home, and her doctor is not concerned with the possibility of hypoglycemia and told me it was the onset of the flu. I have a strange feeling about her having had the flu, and still having all these symptoms. She only went over night with nothing to eat, and has never had a problem like this before. Traveling has never had an effect on her either, as I'm doubting it had anything to do with it.

Should I be concerned about my daughter, and press for more testing? I would rather be safe then sorry, and do not want to wait to see if there is going to be another passing out spell which she could possibly hurt herself.

Answer:

Given your family history is positive for diabetes, the only thing I can advise is to check your daughter for type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes with islet cell antibodies, GAD, and anti-insulin antibodies. If negative, I can think of no more testing.

[Editor's comment: I would continue to periodically check your daughter's blood sugars, especially if she begins to exhibit symptoms of diabetes or hypoglycemia. SS]