Question:

From Taipei, Taiwan:

I am 32 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, and a few days ago my physician advised that the FDA had approved the use of Humalog during pregnancy about six months ago. I just want to double check with you if this information is indeed accurate.

Answer:

I telephoned the FDA. The representative (after spending some time researching my question) said that Humalog has not been approved for use in pregnancy. However, this does not mean it cannot be used in pregnancy. In fact, I have taken care of many patients on this type of insulin. Nevertheless if you are very concerned, then I would suggest switching over to Regular insulin prior to conception and during the first 10 weeks of pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin Analogs