From Knob Noster, Missouri, USA:

Our 22 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since age eight and was has been living on his own for years, goes low almost daily and has had two car accidents along with numerous tickets. He is out of control and is spiraling downwards. I feel like he needs placement in an adult camp where he can be reprogrammed to live on his own and take care of himself. Is there any help out there for him?

I don't know of any adult camps, but it sure sounds like he would be "lucky" if he had his license revoked until he started taking his diabetes seriously. Although I believe all people with diabetes have the right to drive, those who don't worry about driving with low blood sugars are placing both themselves and innocent pedestrians and other drivers at great risk if they are involved in an accident.

Your son is no longer a minor, so if he pays for his own car, there is nothing you can do. If you are still paying any car expenses, I would recommend that you tell him you can no longer do this until he gets his diabetes under control. You can tell him that you can't "help" him take dangerous risks either for himself or other people. It sounds like he needs to work with a good therapist to accept the "realities of diabetes" and the risk to both him and others.

Additional comments from Craig Broadhurst:

I don't know of any adult camps for your son. However, his behavior sounds reckless and perhaps he could benefit from a psychological evaluation. If he is viewed as "dangerous to self" than a hospital stay might be in order. Please do not read this as my thinking that he is mentally ill; I am just worried like you.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I will address another issue. You must not allow your son to operate your automobile because you may be liable for the damages. Have you taken any steps to prevent him from driving like notifying the division of motor vehicles that he is no longer fit to drive? You just might be saving his life -- or mine.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

It sounds like your son needs to talk very seriously with his diabetes care team, and perhaps you should go with him to express your safety concerns. What you describe is extremely dangerous.

Posted to Behavior