From Copperas Cove, Texas, USA:

My 15 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, has a BB lodged in his head, right above the left end of his left eyebrow, from an accidental shooting several months ago. X-rays confirmed the BB's presence. One month after the accident, the BB could readily be felt just beneath the surface of the skin and the little bump was plainly visible. A surgeon (at our local military hospital) attempted to remove it at that time, but ended up aborting the procedure after being unable to find the BB. His instructions were to wait three months for the site to heal, and then to consult with him again.

It has been four months since the removal attempt, and because of scar tissue, the BB cannot be felt. The surgeon is now recommending, in order to avoid possible damage to the nerves in that area, that we do nothing and just leave the BB in my son's head. Is there anything diabetes-related that we need to consider in making this decision?

No, the BB won't hurt him.

[Editor's comment: See Surgery Pre-Op Advice for some additional thoughts about planning for surgery. WWQ]