Question:

I'm 13, female, I weigh about 132 pounds, and I want to lose weight safely but fast! My other problem is I can't stop thinking about suicide, and it's a huge problem for me. I need advice on what to do. Can you give me some good advice?

Answer:

Please call or speak with whichever grown-up you trust (a parent, a teacher, a guidance counselor, your pediatrician, your diabetes nurse educator). Let that person know how you are feeling and that you are worried. Thinking about suicide means that you are in a great deal of emotional pain. There are lots of people than help you learn ways to heal from your pain, but you need to first let a grown up know that you need help.

Things can get better for you, and you can learn to lose weight safely with the help of a diabetes dietitian. Please seek help immediately, and then write back to us to let us know how you are doing.

JWB

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Behavior