Question:

From Wilmington, Delaware, USA:

We have no family history of diabetes whatsoever, but my son was diagnosed with type 1 at age 14 months. Three weeks prior to being diagnosed, he had his pancreas stimulated due to his ongoing reflux problems. The tests were negative, but after approximately 7-10 days of being extremely irritable, vomiting (which was not unusual for him), weight loss and excessive thirst, he was admitted to the hospital with blood glucose of 1106 mg/dl [61.4 mmol/L]. Can a pancreatic stimulation test damage a pancreas? Would an ill-functioning pancreas look different to the doctor performing the endoscopy?

Answer:

I can see no reason whatsoever why a pancreatic stimulation test would have any effect at all on incipient diabetes. I think this is just coincidence.