Question:

From North Versailles, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have used my present blood glucose meter for four years. I know the insurance companies are trying to shove these new monitors on us, but the strips are so expensive. I like my meter -- I don't want the new ones they want to give me. So I'm writing to let you and the people out there having these things pushed on us that we don't have to take it -- call your close diabetes foundation and fight for our rights. That is what I have done -- like I say, everyone wants a piece of the pie,and force us to do away with what we are comfortable with; stand up and be counted and not pushed around.

Answer:

When my daughter was diagnosed with diabetes over a dozen years ago, the best blood glucose meter on the market took two minutes to perform a test; required a huge, hanging drop of blood; and you had to wipe the test strip clean of blood at exactly one minute. I for one am very glad that today there are blood glucose meters that take one microliter of blood and produce a result in five seconds. Yes, these new products cost more than old products, but for me, the price is well worth it.

If price is the overriding driver for you -- and it is for many people -- Wal-Mart's ReliOn meter offers excellent features with a cost about one-third of other meters on the market.

JSH

DTQ-ONCDMGB20020216