From Louisiana, USA:

I recently went on birth control pills and confirmed my suspicion (as well as that of my physician) that my hormone levels have a significant impact on my blood sugars. Can you please tell me a way of monitoring estrogen and progesterone reliably from home? Can you direct me to medical research regarding the insulin-inhibiting effects of estrogen and progesterone?

The effect of estrogen and progesterone as mild to moderate inhibitors of insulin action has been known for some time. Most of the clinical research on the subject has indicated that only a small change in insulin or medical therapy should be needed, if at all, to adjust for this.

I would recommend good blood sugar records so that you can document when you begin to see the rise in sugars. These data can then be used by you and your physician to make changes in your medical regimen.