From Miami, Florida, USA:

An LPN from Haiti, where people use more "home grown" remedies, who has type 2 diabetes recently recommended drinking tea made from cerasse leaves. She says it helps to keep her blood sugar levels even. The plant grows here in Florida, and she makes a brew by pouring boiling water over the leaves. I would not use this on my daughter who has type 1 diabetes, but could it hurt for my dad or sister with type 2 to try it, along with their regular medications? Anything harmful in it?

I'm sorry that I cannot be of greater help. My search has found many "claims" of improved health for which cerasse is touted. I can find no formal research comparisons or studies at this time. Therefore I also cannot find potential side effects either.

There is an intoxication related to the consumption of unripe ackee fruit that can lead to illness and low blood sugar. This has been called "toxic hypoglycemia syndrome" or "Jamaican Vomiting syndrome." I cannot find if the cerasse plant and the ackee are related.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Speak to your own diabetes team and remember Caveat Emptor.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations