From St. Petersburg, Florida, USA:

My 11 year old daughter has been suffering with terrible headaches, fatigue, nausea, and shakiness for many months now, mostly in the afternoon. Her doctor ordered full blood work, and her sugar was around 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] so he suggested six small meals per day. Is there anything else I can do? She has an appointment with a neurologist for the headaches which we think may be migraines.

A single blood glucose (albeit low) doesn't prove anything. I assume that the blood work included checks on other things like cortisol and insulin. You should ask about this.

In the meantime, not leaving long gaps between meals is sensible advice, and if she feels shaky she should eat something like a cookie, If this helps, then it does suggest low sugars. Certainly though, this is not diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia