Question:

From Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:

Recently I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and my doctor has prescribed metformin hydrochloride. What is the function of this drug and its side effects if any?

Answer:

Metformin is a medication for type 2 diabetes that works to reduce insulin resistance, particularly hepatic (liver) insulin resistance. In this way, it reduces the liver's production of glucose, which leads to reduced fasting glucose levels.

It can be prescribed for use by itself, or in combination with other oral hypoglycemic agents or insulin. It is also available in a number of forms, including extended release (Glucophage XR) and combined with an oral sulfonylurea (Glucovance).

DMW

[Editor's comment: Side effects of metformin are discussed at Metformin (Glucophage®) Patient Information. They include gastrointestinal effects, and a rare life-threatening problem called lactic acidosis.

Everyone starting a new medication should ask their doctor or pharmacist about the side effects of any new pill. WWQ]

Posted to Pills for Diabetes