Question:

From Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA:

I have two children with type 1 diabetes and on insulin pumps, and the older child (now of pubertal age) seems to be more prone to ketones during illness or the occasional pump problem than the younger (pre-pubertal) child. Why is it that some children rarely get ketones when others seem to develop them quite rapidly?

Answer:

I never heard of a different susceptibility among children with type 1 diabetes in developing ketosis. It is true that the hormones that peak during puberty make children this age m more prone than prepubertal ones to metabolic instability and then to possible development of ketosis. Nowadays intensified insulin treatment associated with frequent self monitoring and correct education of children and their families towards self management makes ketosis much less frequent. Ask your diabetes team for further help.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA