Question:

From Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA:

I am 19 years old, have had diabetes since I was five, and I was very much out of control for the last two years. I would go days without giving any insulin at all and would eat everything I wanted and still lost about 20 pounds very quickly. I just recently started taking very good care of myself again and I gained 35 pounds in about three weeks, which I don't think is normal, but I don't know why it's happening. I don't stop gaining weight -- no matter what I eat. I had normal thyroid blood tests, and all of my other blood tests came out normal, even my lipids. This is really frustrating me, and I don't know what else to do.

I also live in fear of complications. I already have numbness in my hands and my feet, I went through a phase were my lower legs would swell up and dent in, and then this weird weight gain. Please help me; I'm driving myself insane with fear and frustration, and I don't know what else to do or who to talk to.

Answer:

You need to see an endocrinologist. It's likely that some of this is fluid weight and you need it all evaluated soon. If you take insulin, and eat too much you will gain weight. I don't know how much you are eating and don't want to suggest you are doing something wrong without data. See your dietitian and go over everything. You do have lots of access where you live to very good endocrinologists. See one and get on track.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss