From Stephenville, Newfoundland, Canada:

For the past week, my four year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 23 months, has been complaining that her lower part of her legs are bothering her, usually during the night. One night she was in constant pain and could not sleep at all. She has never had any problems before with her sleeping. I am quite certain that she is not fooling around just to not go to bed, since it starts to happen after she has been asleep for some time. I read that diabetes complications can happen after 15 years of having this condition. However, since she has been saying that it hurts in the bottom part of her lower legs, I am rather concerned. What is your opinion? What can I do to ease my mind?

It would be extremely rare for such a young child to have diabetes neuritis or nerve damage. However, you should discuss this with your daughter's pediatric endocrinologist to be sure. There are other conditions that should also be considered including adrenal and thyroid disorders, certain vitamin deficiencies and celiac disease. This would involve some blood testing but may answer your questions.

[Editor's comment: It is quite possible that these are growing pains. (See Growing Pains for more information.) Another possibility is that your daughter is having nocturnal hypoglycemia. Check some blood sugars during the night to exclude this as the cause. SS]

Posted to Aches and Pains