From Anchorage, Alaska, USA:

I'm 27 years old, have had diabetes since I was eight, and I'm pregnant with my first child. I cannot get a straight answer from my doctors about how they want to handle my insulin needs and blood sugars during labor and delivery. I'm on a pump and would like to continue using it during labor.

During labor I like to have patients on an intravenous insulin drip. This is a very easy way to control blood sugars, but an insulin pump will also work. I would suggest speaking with your doctor further about these matters.

[Editor's comment: Who prescribed the pump? That doctor should be able to either consult with your OB-Gyn during your delivery, or at least advise the OB-Gyn casually if the prescribing physician is not on the staff of the hospital where you will be delivering. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning