Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

My 32 year old sister is currently pregnant, has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and was put on insulin. I believe that there is a history of diabetes in my family. Is there anything I can do to prevent developing gestational diabetes myself? I am not pregnant, but I am interested in preventative measures.

Answer:

Just because your sister developed gestational diabetes, that does not mean that you will. Maintaining a reasonable weight, exercising, and eating an appropriate diet are good measures, but not absolutely preventative.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes