Question:

From Portsmouth, Hampshire, England:

I am a 59 year old female who has type 2 diabetes treated with [metformin], and I also have only one kidney. I have heard that taking a teaspoonful of cinnamon three times a day in my coffee will lower my blood sugar levels. Do you have any knowledge in this regard?

Answer:

I do not have any knowledge of the use of cinnamon to treat blood sugars.

[Editor's comment: There have been a very few studies about cinnamon that have been done in animals or in vitro, but none in humans. See a previous question and search PubMed using the words "diabetes" and "cinnamon". WWQ]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations