From Paso Robles, California, USA:

I am 44, normal weight, and walk regularly. I began thyroid therapy over 28 years ago and have been on the same dose of Synthroid [a brand of thyroid hormone replacement] for more than 15 years with normal thyroid tests, but a year I was diagnosed with diabetes treated with insulin, and my current TSH is low. My hemoglobin A1c runs 5.7-6.4%. Three months ago I started taking Prozac and I also take B12 and ferrous gluconate for anemia, which is under control now.

My doctor recommended lowering the Synthroid. This is okay, but I want to find out what could influence the dosage. I have no other signs of thyroid disease. Could insulin use cause a change in my TSH levels?

I don't know. Possibly the Synthroid is being better absorbed: did you change time of day or relationship to food? Lab normal values also change over time, and newer, very sensitive TSH tests are widely available now.

Posted to Thyroid