Question:

From Anchorage, Alaska, USA:

I'm 27 years old, have had diabetes since I was eight, I'm pregnant with my first child and have had no problems with the pregnancy. (My hemoglobin A1c is 6.2%). The issue is that my obstetrician wants to induce me a week before my due date even though the baby is not large and will more than likely weigh less than eight pounds. Is an induction really necessary?

Answer:

Currently the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists does not recommend induction of labor for mothers with diabetes without a specific indication (other than diabetes). As long as the fetus is growing well (not too large) and is healthy, then expectant management is acceptable. However, there may be specific circumstances that are compelling your doctor to induce labor.

DTQ-20020507170605A
Posted to Family Planning