From Simi Valley, California, USA:

I am a 16 year old female who has had type 1 diabetes since age five, and I am hoping and praying for a cure, especially by the time I am ready to have children of my own because I don't want them to ever have to deal with this disease. However, until then, I was wondering if there were any clinical trials or something like it that I could get involved in to help find a cure. Do any trials use minors?

Many centers around the world are working for better treatment, ways to prevent diabetes and even to cure diabetes. In Simi Valley, I would suggest that you might call Dr Lois Jovanovic at the Sansum Medical Research Institute in Santa Barbara since her group may have some studies in which you could participate.

Most studies do not allow volunteers who are less than 18, for instance, transplantation or implantation studies, but such studies are always evolving and some may allow older teenagers. You may also want to talk to your diabetes health care team to see if they know of local studies being carried out. You should read Diabetes Forecast and Diabetes Interview each month since these two excellent magazines will also keep you up to date about ongoing research.

Posted to Research: Cure