Question:

From Eagan, Minnesota, USA:

My mother-in-law has both diabetes and high cholesterol. Is there some kind of a device with which I could check her blood sugar level before and after meals and also cholesterol? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Your mother-in-law should be doing as per the schedule that the doctor feels is best so please have her ask. If her doctor does not seem to be advocating blood glucose monitoring, please ask for a referral to a diabetes team. Cholesterol is not tested on a daily basis, but about every three months at the doctor's office.

LSF

[Editor's comment: There are devices that measure cholesterol at home, but as Lois points out, there really doesn't seem to be a need to measure it daily. Roche Diagnostics introduced the Accu-Chek Instant Plus in about 1998. It monitors both blood glucose and total cholesterol using two different strips. See Easy-To-Use Monitor That Screens Both Cholesterol and Glucose Levels. (Note: If you do an on-line search for this product, it is sometimes described as the "Instant Plus" and sometimes without a space, as "InstantPlus".) WWQ]

DTQ-20020420153739B