From Rhode Island, USA:

I am 44 years old, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost three years ago, and I have been taking Glucophage [metformin]. I lost 15 pounds while taking the medication, but recently I was switched to the generic form, and I noticed I gained five pounds. Does the generic form work as well as the one from a trademark company?

The FDA approves generics that are said to be equivalent to the brand name. I don't know if others have had the same experience with the change to generic metformin, but I, too, have patients who seem to have higher glucoses. I have actually switched some back to brand name with better glucose control.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes